[PLUG-TALK] Re: [PLUG] Win98 -- overwrite?

Miller, Jeremy JMILLER at ci.albany.or.us
Tue Jun 25 15:22:05 UTC 2002

> See, I interpreted the question to be:
>
> "How do I install Windows 98 without blowing away an X partition?"
>
> I couldn't care less what X is, so the question looks off-topic to me.
>
> The same method applies regardless of OS on the other partition.

My guess is the reason X (as in my interpretation) was specified was that
this particular X has a very bad reputation for not playing nicely with
others, and specifically blowing away linux partitions.

Others may not play so ugly, and not require quite the same answer.  If it
doesn't blow away your MBR or partitions without asking, you won't have to
reinstall your boot loader. Or take drastic measures to protect your
partitions.

Personally, everything I care about is usually on one drive, and OS's on
another(s).  If I'm installing anything by MS, the one I care about isn't
even plugged in.  In fact I actually pull it clear out, walk to the exact
opposite point in the room, and place it on a shelf. :)  BSD's and BeOS's
and such don't worry me quite as much.

As for the boot loader, that's not so difficult to put back.  But I use
separate drives in a pullout cage anyway, so I haven't had to worry about it
for a long time.