[PLUG-TALK] Re: [PLUG] Win98 -- overwrite?

Miller, Jeremy JMILLER at ci.albany.or.us
Tue Jun 25 19:04:41 UTC 2002

> So the point here is that it's pretty much a Win98 question
> and what's on
> the other partitions is pretty irrelevant.

Or Win95.  Or ME.  Or DOS.  Essentially, a whole class of (crappy) systems
from a certain vendor.

The fact that the partition is linux makes it relevant, and an
interoperability issue.  The question was essentially how to use linux to
overcome and override the shortcomings of another system.  Which is a
different answer than if the other partitions were BSD, BeOS, Win2K, or any
other OS on x86.  Identical concepts, but different details.

Is interoperability not an issue?  (If not, why do we have samba and the
ability to read FAT based filesystems?)

Of course one can ignore any interoperability issue if they like.  Or take a
stance that no one attempting such a thing deserves help doing it, at least
not from us.  :P

(You/others DID help... but I'm referring to the "don't ask again" vibe I'm
getting from your responses.)