[PLUG-TALK] Fair Use, etc.

Dylan Reinhardt dylan at dylanreinhardt.com
Mon Mar 25 01:35:58 UTC 2002

This conversation shows little sign of resolving anything.  As a service
for those who might wonder what was accomplished, I offer the following
precis:

Beginning
---------------------
You > "It's also fair use to spread the tape around and even make copies
for
people free of charge"
Me > "Fair Use is not so broadly defined as all that"

Middle
---------------------
[ numerous irrelevant side-issues and mutual acts of gradiose rhetoric excerpted
]

End
---------------------
Me > "I await proof that [your interpretation] reflect[s] the laws of the
land we live in"
You > "How about, instead, adopting them as your ideas and working to change
the law of the land we live in should that law oppose these ideas?"

Conclusions (mine)
---------------------
1. We both like to argue.
2. Neither of us are lawyers.
3. You still haven't shown a single example of a court acting as though
your interpretation of the law has any legal standing or objective merit.

I'll be the first to admit I don't know it all and I would happily read
any substantive example of a court finding that outlines the legal relevance
of your opinions.  Until then, please forgive me if I take the reactionary
position of suggesting that the unauthorized mass appropriation of other
people's work is *highly questionable* both in terms of moral integrity
and statutory legality.

Dylan