[PLUG-TALK] Legal vs illegal, or, the justice system in Ameri ca.

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Tue Mar 26 01:03:04 UTC 2002

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Wil Cooley wrote:
> Yeah, they do.  My friend's father is a judge in Louisiana and he ran
> recently and lost.  (Maybe I misunderstood my parents; maybe he was
> running for something else.)

Louisiana is a whole nuther thing, legally speaking (napoleanic code,
organized crime as a national sport, etc.), but that's interesting.

Note that I did concede that people run against selected judges, they just
get the shit treatment afterward.  I'd be curious to hear this fellow's
experience.

Did he retire after the failed bid?  Or was he the favorite that got edged
out by an upstart from outside the system?  Has he been treated
differently in the courts since he lost?

Anyway, I was speaking from experience (vicarious) in Oregon.  But I would
be surprised if it's much different elsewhere.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net