[PLUG-TALK] Fair Use, etc.

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Wed Mar 27 23:53:32 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-03-27 at 14:25, Richard Langis wrote:
> Russ Johnson wrote:
>

> > Speaking of what's fair... How about this:
> >
> > In today's Oregonian, there was an article that said the Supreme Court
> > had upheld the rights of a Public Housing Administrator to evict an
> > entire family if any one used illegal drugs, on or off the property. No
> > notification needed.
> >
> > "Civil rights activists" are up in arms because this creates a double
> > standard. Poor people depend on public housing...
> >
> > Seems to me that the double standard is that only poor people can live
> > in public housing...
>

> Personally, I think this is entirely fair.  If these people have enough money
> to buy drugs in the first place, perhaps they're spending the money they DO
> have in the wrong manner.  That shit ain't cheap - which is why there's a
> market for it in the first place.

That wasn't actually my point. :)

I know plenty of people "living off the system" that have money for
booze, cigarettes, and other vices, but have no money to buy diapers,
formula and food for the kids.

My point was the classic "liberal" interpretation that this is a rule
that will only affect poor people. The activists citing a "double
standard" after the already existing double standard.

If only poor people can live in public housing, then only poor people
will be affected by the rules of said housing. That's not due to the
fact that people are poor.