[PLUG-TALK] Fair Use, etc.

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Thu Mar 28 00:02:13 UTC 2002

Also Sprach Craighead, Scot D <craighead.scot at vectorscm.com> on Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 02:56:25PM PST

> I am a lay person and I can understand it.  I read it in junior high
> school and felt that I pretty much understood it then.

I'm impressed.  I've read it and still think there are
things I don't understand.

> What I see on TV all the time is people in fancy suits trying to twist
> meanings of words to justify things they know perfectly well are wrong.

Are you talking about Matlock?  The last time I checked, most trials
did not allow cameras.  Or perhaps you mean CSPAN?

> The second amendment is perfectly clear, but people try to tell you
> it doesn't mean you have the right to own a gun.  The first amendment
> is very clear, but just today a law was signed that says you can't
> run a political add 60 days before an election.  This is what I am
> referring to.

Sure, but you are not considering the greater context: the preamble
sets forth the goals of the constitution.  What happens when exercise
of rights provided for in the Bill of Rights militates against
the goals outlined in the preamble?  Or what about the changes in
the world that have happened in the last 200 years that nullify
the stated reasons for certain rights or requirements?  After all,
it's been a very busy couple of centuries.  For example, in the 7th
amendment, a figure of greater than $20 is proposed as the minimum
requirement for a common law trial by jury.  Do we stick with that
$20 figure or do we assume $20 adjusted for inflation?  It's not
clear which.  The $20 minimum is proposed clearly for a reason
which one must hope is better than 20 being a "magical number."

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
irc.linux.com                             #orlug,#pdxlug,#lnxs