[PLUG-TALK] Fair Use, etc.

Craighead, Scot D craighead.scot at vectorscm.com
Thu Mar 28 01:34:36 UTC 2002

>Ew, Fox News?  LOL  I hope no one watches Fox for anything
>but laughs, maybe a little fictional drama.

Say what you will about FOX News, but consider this.  Unlike CNN, NBC, ABC
and CBS, Fox lets both the liberals and the conservative have a chance to
say what they want to say.  I have seen several news stories that would
never have seen the light of day, if not for Fox News.  One is the
Condit-Levy affair.  Fox was reporting it weeks before the others.  I think
the others wanted to just sweep it under the rug and after several weeks it
became to big and they finally began to report it.

>But the example you gave in the previous message was a law passed
>by the popularly-elected Congress, not the courts.  More often than
>not, at least for cases that receive lots of attention, it seems the
>courts are the ones who strike down a Congressionally instituted law,
>based on its conflict with the constitution.

Yes, the congress passed a bill that they knew to be unconstitutional and
the president signed it.  What I hope to see is the supreme court striking
the law entirely and telling congress to go back to the drawing board and
try again.  What I will probably see is the court striking parts and leaving
other parts and making rules about how laws like these should be written in
the future.  All of this is legislating and they have no right to do it.  I
hope I will be pleasantly surprised.

>Just for the sake of argument, if not for sport hunting, what is
>the purpose of second amendment?

An excellent question.  The people that wrote the constitution believed that
government was something that needed to be limited as much as possible.
They had just fought a long war for freedom from one government.  They
wanted the citizens to be able to arm themselves to over through any future
government that may become oppressive and not act in the will of the people.