[PLUG-TALK] Fair Use, etc.

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Thu Mar 28 08:59:06 UTC 2002

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, J.A. Henshaw wrote:
> So if they leave out the 200 year old definition and subsitute a
> NewSpeak version, I think we can safely believe they must have had
> some purpose for doing so.

Yeah, their purpose is to accurately reflect the meaning of the word based
on its usage.

Even if you fail to account for cultural acceleration (caused by
industrialization and mass communication) and simply look at the way words
were defined 200 years before the Constitution was written (around the
time of Shakespeare's prolific period), you'll find the same kinds of
changes in the meanings of words between then and the time of Jefferson,
et al.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin