[PLUG-TALK] Fair Use, etc.

Craighead, Scot D craighead.scot at vectorscm.com
Thu Mar 28 22:51:46 UTC 2002

>You're right, of course.  That is how it's always been.  But at least you
>recognize it is greed and lust for power that causes a destruction of
>liberty.  It's not a communist plot.

Thank you.

>Wow.  Do you know what communism IS?
>
>Communism is an economic system, not a political one.  The Constitution of
>the United States doesn't reflect favor for one economic system over
>another.

It's an econimic system that requires the government to own the means of
production, so it is both economic and political.  Our constitution is just
political.

>The whole purpose of communism is to limit the power of wealth and its
>ability to coerce the public by ensuring public control of the means of
>production of human necessities.

This is where your arguement falls apart.  What does public control mean?
It means that the government owns it.  That means that the people that
control the government also control the wealth.  Sound familiar?  They have
no check and balance because they control both the government and the
businesses at the same time.  Absolute power.  If you have very decent
people in government then this could work OK.  What happens if an evil
person (Stalin) gets in there?

>I think you're confusing communism with Stalinism.

I think you are confusing that they are not the same thing.  See what I said
above.  What eventually happens in every form of government is some jerk
gets in there and starts screwing over the public for their own benefit.  It
happens here also.  The only difference is we have ways of getting the jerk
out of power.

>I think a person can make a VERY strong argument that working in a modern
>capitalist nation amounts to slavery for an enormous percentage of the
>people.

I think not.  Simply because I can choose to quit a job I don't like.
Slaves can't do that.

>While the propaganda on the right talks about the rising tide raising all
>boats and the land of opportunity, real wages have steadily decreased
>while working hours have steadily increased.  More than 40% of the people
>have no wealth of which to speak and that number has also been steadily
>increasing over the past forty years.  That's the recipe for a growing
>slave class... just so you know.

I will give you that in the last few years people are being asked to work
harder for the same pay.  This is corporate greed and the only solution is
for workers to just refuse to take it.  I have.  I was working 70 to 80
hours a week for almost a year.  I quit that job and now get paid about the
same to work 40 to 50.  Employers will take what you give them.