[PLUG-TALK] Route command on Microsoft Win2000

Mike Witt mike at computer-arts.net
Fri Mar 29 00:35:50 UTC 2002

I have a MS Win2000 machine on which I need to point a host route
at a given interface. I need to do this *regardless* of the fact
the the machine doesn't *think* that the destination can be found
on that interface, based on it's (dhcp downloaded) configuration.

On Unix, the command "route add -host <dest machine> dev eth0"
would do the trick. Win2k does have a route command, but I can't
figure out any syntax that will do the same job. Win2k does not
have an ifconfig command (that was another thread :-) so I can't
create a virual interface that believes it's on the required subnet.
(I *could* do this through the normal Win2k GUI, but since the
machine is doing DCHP it doesn't believe I need to configure
interfaces and won't let me :-(

BTW, I doubt this msg will make any sense to anyone who hasn't
come across this specific situation. So, don't waste too much time
reading it :-)

-Mike