[PLUG-TALK] Fair Use, etc.

Craighead, Scot D craighead.scot at vectorscm.com
Fri Mar 29 00:50:55 UTC 2002

>Now, there you're wrong.
>
>Government has nothing to do with communism.  Communism is an economic
>system wherein the means of production of human necessity are not
>controlled.  They are a public asset in the way that the air you breathe
>is a public asset... not in the way that the Post Office is a public
>asset.

You are bypassing the main point.  Someone, somewhere has to make decisions
regarding what gets done with these "public assets".  Should this particular
piece of land be used as a car factory or and apartment building.  Someone
has to decide.  Certainly, it can't be both.  Certainly, people will
disagree as to which it should be.  You propose that "the public" decides.
How do they?  Should every decision no matter how minor be voted on?  That
would be chaos.  If assets are "public" the state owns them.

>The bottom two-fifths of the people in the United States of America have
>NO WEALTH.  That means they cannot sustain their lives for a single month
>without income.  How is it that these people are free to quit their jobs?

We have the riches poor people in the world.  In India, if you are poor, it
means you may die of starvation.  Here it means you have a cheap place to
live and a crappy car.

>Tell that to the food service and hospitality industries.  The demand for
>workers has been rising steadily for 20 years, but real wages have gone
>down.  There are more jobs than workers, nationally, but the compensation
>is not increasing.
>
>The industry can hold out longer than the workers can.  That's the sum of
>it.  The workers can quit their jobs in protest, but they can't find a
>better job (better giving/compensation ratio) before they really damage
>themselves (losing shelter, etc.).
>
>The situation continues because the workers are slaves.  They don't have a
>real choice in leaving their work.

They can move to other jobs, it's just easier not to.