[PLUG-TALK] Fair Use, etc.

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Fri Mar 29 04:02:43 UTC 2002

At 05:13 PM 3/28/2002 -0800, you wrote:

>On 28 Mar 2002, Russ Johnson wrote:
> > On Thu, 2002-03-28 at 16:13, Jeme A Brelin wrote:
> > > How is it that these people are free to quit their jobs?
> >
> > They just have to find a new one prior to quiting. There are more jobs
> > than people in our society.
>
>If there are more jobs than people, why is there unemployment?

Several possibilities come to mind.

It boils down to, "One is waiting for the "Right job". "

In the 80's, I was unemployed several times. Each time, I had a new job
within 1 week. The only exception to this was the time I moved from Coos
Bay back to Eugene, and waited for a planned opening at the business I
wanted to work at. At that time, I waited 4 weeks for the job to open up.

> > Maybe not what you want to do, but there are other jobs out there.
> > Otherwise, the help wanted section of the newspaper would dry up.
>
>Just because there are jobs available doesn't mean there aren't MORE
>people looking for work.
>
>And we're talking about a class of people that have limited skills and
>leisure time.  They don't have a free hand with which to grab their own
>bootstraps.

How do you know the later any more than we know the former?

> > If there are more jobs than workers, then it's not hard to find
> > another job.
>
>Again, read what I wrote.  Not just ANOTHER job, but a BETTER job.

If you aren't happy in your current job, another job, paying the same
wages, just may be better.

Russ Johnson
Stargate Online

http://www.dimstar.net
telnet://telnet.dimstar.net
ICQ: 3739685

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a
nail
         - Abraham Maslow