[PLUG-TALK] Route command on Microsoft Win2000

Mike Witt mike at computer-arts.net
Fri Mar 29 17:30:05 UTC 2002

Cool, so on a Win2k *server*, where the server itself is using
DHCP to get it's primary address (this is a requirement of my
current ISP AT&T Cable) how do I force a route to a given interface?

*Hypothetical* Example (to avoid using the real addresses):

(1) I acquire the address 10.0.0.1 , with a netmask of 255.255.255.0,
    and a default route of 10.0.0.254 through DHCP.

(2) The subnet 10.0.1.0 also exists on my LAN, and there is a machine
    at the address 10.0.1.1 which I *could* communicate with directly
    over the LAN.

(3) There are *other* parts of 10.0.1.0 for which I really do have
    to go through the default gateway provided by DHCP.

(I realize this is a weird setup, but to avoid writing an essay
on the way AT&T is managing the DHCP address, I'm asking that you
just believe me)

So, (4) I want to add a single host route on the Win2K server
such that all traffic to 10.0.1.1 will go straight out the
Ethernet interface (in other words it will ARP 10.0.1.1. over
the ethernet and not go to 10.0.0.254)

On a Unix machine I would just say: route add -host 10.0.1.1 dev eth0

The only two ways I know to add a route in Win2k are:

(1) through the network settings (GUI), and the relevant portion
    is "greyed out" since I'm using DCHP

(2) with the route command (in a dos prompt). and it does not *appear*
    to be able to do the equivalent of the Unix command above,
    which I guess would be something like:

	route add -host 10.0.1.1 IF 0x1000003 (or something like that)

I was hoping that there was a route command syntax that could
accomplish this, and I just hadn't figured it out.

Now, I realize that there are many different versions of Win2k
servers, just like there are many different versions of all OSs.
Is there a particular build where you can actually add routes and/or
virtual interfaces in the network settings, WHEN you are getting
your primary setup via DHCP?