[PLUG-TALK] Fair Use, etc.

Craighead, Scot D craighead.scot at vectorscm.com
Sat Mar 30 01:09:47 UTC 2002

>They're invented to meet needs, not to eliminate the need.  The need is
>the reason for the business.  A capitalist needs to maintain demand.  A
>capitalist medical research firm has no interest in finding a cure for a
>disease.  It is much more profitable to provide "symptom management"
>where there is recurring revenue.

You assume all capitalist are immoral and take everything to the ultimate
extreme.  Only some are.  Some people actually want to make the world a
better place.  Even some capitalists.

>I do believe that happy workers produce more, but the capitalist weighs
>that gain in productivity against the gain in profit margins caused by
>that restriction of freedom.
>
>And if you have the right PR, you can spin it to get both... reduce the
>freedom of your workers and make them like it.  That's essentially what
>the police and copyright industries do.

What companies have you worked at?  They sound nothing like the companies
I have worked for.

>They want the public to have enough education to be a productive worker,
>but that doesn't include education that makes them a better citizen.
>Philosophy, art, history: these things do not make for more productive
>workers.  They are, arguably, necessary for the powerful elite... the
>generals and CEOs, if you will... but this kind of knowledge in the
>hands of the public leads to contradiction, unrest, and a demand for more
>knowledge and liberty.

Then why did the public schools I went to teach me these things (or try to
anyway)?  One of our founding fathers (I don't remember which) said that a
republic can only survive if we have an educated public.  Why is financial
aid given to college students?

>Depends on who you're fighting.
>
>Capitalists make it a point of declaring war against enemies that don't
>have the power to seriously impact trade.
>
>Capitalists declare war on non-capitalists... even peaceful, democratic
>non-capitalists (e.g. chile 1973) in order to increase trade with allies
>and boost profits for war industries.  War also allows for the creation
>of the public perception that goods and services are more scarce, thus
>driving up price, regardless of the lack of change in cost of production
>and distribution.
>
>Capitalists declare war on the already weak or those of limited
>resources... nations full of civil unrest, third world nations, nations
>without a homeland, etc.
>
>Capitalists declare war on non-specific enemies... drugs, terrorism,
>communism, etc.  This allows the war to be almost wholly offensive for
>the capitalists because the acts of war are made in the name of prevention.
>
>The "enemy" doesn't know he's the enemy until it's too late.

Nazi Germany was a weak, third world nation?  Imperial Japan?  Soviet Union?

(Cold War)  I'll give you that the war on drugs is a sick joke.  The war on
Terror?
There are a bunch a crazy fanatics that want to kill us.  I think we need to

fight this one.

>Does E=MC^2 say nothing?  What about f=ma?

These are very specific.  Math is just great for compacting large concepts
into
short formula's.  (I have a BS in Mathematics, BTW)