[PLUG-TALK] Fair Use, topic drift

Mark Morgan lemming at attbi.com
Sat Mar 30 19:28:22 UTC 2002

Jeme A Brelin wrote

> The U.S. then started shipping arms to anyone who would buy in Europe in
> order to make a few bucks.  This was in violation of international law.
> The fascists were too nationalist and protectionist to get in on the deal,
> but offers were made.  But Hitler was furious that his victory in Europe
> could be threatened by outside resources.  (Hitler's tactics for total war
> included an estimation of his enemy's resources.)  The Germans started
> sinking merchant ships carrying goods to belligerents in Europe.  The
> U.S. then suspended the Neutrality Act in order to send military ships
> along with the merchants to protect profits for U.S. corporations.

Well, Lend Lease was really done to benefit the British and the USSR.
Since the belligerants had to use their own ships and the British had
the Atlantic mostly under control, Germany couldn't of bought much
anyway. While there were a lot of people in the US who didn't want to
get involved in WWII, FDR knew sooner or later we'd get involved.  He
did a lot of dealing with Churchill and quite a lot of illegal activity
to prop up the British in 1939-1941.

> In general, people really didn't think the U.S. should be involved in
> foreign war.

True.

> I could go on.  That's really another topic.  But the point is simply that
> there was more business interest than concern for our brothers and sisters
> overseas.  Hell, FDR knew damned well what Stalin was doing, but allied
> with the Russians because they weren't threatening U.S. business interests
> (since Russia hadn't been a viable trade partner in almost fifty years).

Enemy of my Enemy.  Actually before June 1941 when Germany invaded the
USSR, there was plenty of bad press about the USSR. After all, they were
allied with the Nazis. All of a sudden the Russian Bear was portrayed
more cuddly.

-Mark