[PLUG-TALK] RE: [PLUG] Vulgarity: Was: Steve Duin's column of 5/21/02

Craighead, Scot D craighead.scot at vectorscm.com
Fri May 31 18:30:32 UTC 2002

>You plan on kicking your kids out of the house at age 7?
>
>I have met parents who want their kids to stay at age 7 no matter how
>old they get.  (Usually for religious reasons.)
>
>The "kinky sex" analogy has *nothing* to do with the language
>discussions here.  It is a straw man distraction, it has little to do
>with the discussion at hand.
>
>Would I teach my kid about "kinky sex" at seven? Depends on if she was
>exposed to people like that at that age.  I guess it depends on who your
>friends are.  (Or what kind of scene your kid just walked in on. "Mommy!
>What are you doing to Daddy!")  Teaching them to knock first is even
>better.

This is getting way off topic, so I am replying on plug-talk.

Perhaps we were both looking at the extremes.  While I don't want my kids to
see the world with rose-colored glasses, I don't think they are ready for
everything yet.  I am offended by the constant barrage of sexualalty that
they must endure.  Everywhere you look, there are advertizers completely
willing to use sex to sell crappy products.  Kids who haven't even reached
puberty yet are not prepared to deal with this.  It's like trying to explain
photography to a blind person.  There are behaviors that are appropriate
among adults that are not OK around kids.

I also don't see any benefit to exposing them (or anyone else) to profanity.
What does it gain for them?  The skill to talk like trashy people?  Will
that help with any aspect of life?  (OK, I do slip up from time to time, but
I would rather forget about that then try to justify it.)