[PLUG-TALK] /proc details

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Sat Oct 19 19:16:14 PDT 2002

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, John Sechrest wrote:
> 	So I am trying to see how linux creates the /proc
> 	instantiation. IE, where the filesystem hands off
> 	the calls for /proc into the /proc driver.
>
> 	and what I would have to do in order to do that same
> 	kind of thing for a network service.
>
> 	I am interested to know of an article that talks about
> 	/proc was implemented and how these types of things
> 	work.
>
> 	Does anyone have any information about /proc or
> 	nfs impemetnation details?

I don't think you need the implementation details of either proc or
nfs.  I think you just need a fair understanding of the VFS (virtual
filesystem) layer in the kernel.

Really, all filesystem drivers interface with the VFS the same way.  You'd
just be writing a new filesystem driver that did... well, whatever it is
your idea to do.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin