[PLUG-TALK] /proc details

John Sechrest sechrest at peak.org
Sun Oct 20 03:27:10 UTC 2002

Ahhh. Ok. I need to understand VFS... Where is the best place
for me to go learn how to write a VFS driver?

Jeme A Brelin <jeme at brelin.net> writes:

 %
 % On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, John Sechrest wrote:
 % > 	So I am trying to see how linux creates the /proc
 % > 	instantiation. IE, where the filesystem hands off
 % > 	the calls for /proc into the /proc driver.
 % >
 % > 	and what I would have to do in order to do that same
 % > 	kind of thing for a network service.
 % >
 % > 	I am interested to know of an article that talks about
 % > 	/proc was implemented and how these types of things
 % > 	work.
 % >
 % > 	Does anyone have any information about /proc or
 % > 	nfs impemetnation details?
 %
 % I don't think you need the implementation details of either proc or
 % nfs.  I think you just need a fair understanding of the VFS (virtual
 % filesystem) layer in the kernel.
 %
 % Really, all filesystem drivers interface with the VFS the same way.  You'd
 % just be writing a new filesystem driver that did... well, whatever it is
 % your idea to do.
 %
 % J.
 % --