[PLUG-TALK] Re: [PLUG] License plates and covers.

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Fri Dec 12 01:12:29 UTC 2003

* Jeme A Brelin <jeme at brelin.net> [2003-12-11 16:37]:
> > No, I consider you implying that I have "fucked up" priorities to be
> > abusive. Specifically, when using that combination of words.
>
> Were those actually your priorities?

It depends on what we're talking about. I *DO* believe the license place
and holder harm the asthetics of some cars. At the same time, I
understand that the we need to comply to continue to have the privledge
to drive.

> Huh?  You wrote something that's incorrect.  You wrote that the license
> plate is not part of identifying the driver.  It is as much part of
> identifying the driver as it is identifying the vehicle's owner.
>
> > However, I believe the reason the photo red lights are required to have
> > a shot of the front of the car is because they lost the fight when they
> > claimed having a shot of the license plate was enough. They needed a
> > shot of the driver.
>
> Correct.  You need BOTH.  The more evidence the better, really, but at
> least those three pieces are essential.  You must show that it was a
> particular car (which requires a picture of the plate and the vehicle) and
> that a particular person was behind the wheel.  Lots of folks look alike,
> but that combination (plate, vehicle, human appearance) should be pretty
> strong.

I'm quoting both your paragraphs for this because I seem to be seeing a
contradiction.

You state in the first paragraph that the plate is iding the driver,
then in the second, you say you need the picture.

It's my opinion that all the plate does is id the car. The rest of the
chain is required to id the driver, but the plate does NOT id the
driver.

> > Here's the rub. The 1% law requires 1% of the construction cost, even if
> > the costs are 99% privately funded.
>
> Yay!
>
> Don't want to play by the public's rules, don't use the public's money.

Why not make it 1% of the public money in a given project?

> > Why not? I see lots of private structures that are nothing but blank
> > walls.
>
> And you think that's a GOOD thing?  It's degrading to the whole fabric of
> the neighborhood.  It's irresponsible building practice at the very least.

I'd rather follow the teaching of F.L.W. "Form follows function-that has
been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a
spiritual union"

--
Russ Johnson
Dimension 7/Stargate Online

Top post? http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Random thought #9 (Collect all 22)
"There is no knowledge that is not power." - Mortal Kombat Three