[PLUG-TALK] Re: [PLUG] OT License plates and covers.

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Fri Dec 12 18:12:44 UTC 2003

* Paul Johnson <baloo at ursine.ca> [2003-12-11 18:19]:
> > Riding the bus or train to another city is both more expensive (in MY
> > pocketbook, Jeme!) and slower. I can get to Eugene (for example) in 1.5
> > hours.
>
> $40/round trip is cheaper than driving?  You must not be factoring in
> wear and tear, insurance, or the car payment if it's not paid off.

Nope, because those are expenses I have wether I drive it or not, minus
wear and tear.

At $40, I have a $12 allowance for wear and tear.

And in response to Jeme's assertion that I probably only make one trip
out of town a month... Think again. My daughter, Dad, and girlfriend
live in Eugene. I'm actually on the road quite a bit. Especially during
the holidays.

> > So just where are all these people supposed to live? If everyone lives
> > in the city, then you have a more crowded city. The city isn't designed
> > to hold all the people that live in the 'burbs.
>
> You failed social studies in high school, or just forget why Metro
> exists?

I don't think Portland could absorb the populations of Beaverton,
Gresham, Hillsboro, Vancouver and unincorporated Washington County, even
those parts that just work in Portland. Not without building a lot of
apartment buildings. You do realize that there are more people living in
unincorporated Washington County than there are living in the second
largest city in Oregon, don't you?

> Actually, that's exactly the kinds of populations cities are designed
> to absorb.  Suburbs where originally where the population not
> fortunate enough to be able to centrally locate themselves live.  And
> for good reason: No lawn to mow, and you're walking distance to almost
> everything instead of walking distance to a transit stop.

I hate having people walk on my head. I also hate having noisy neighbors
on the other side of the wall. I refuse to live in an apartment unless
I'm unable to get a roof in some other manor. I've tried townhouse
living, it's sucked too.

In other words, I want a single family, single level, house, on it's own
lot, with space between me and my neighbors. I want a driveway where I
can park my car and not worry about my nit-wit neighbor dinging my doors
with their 66 VW bug. (Sorry man, it was late, and I was tired.)

As far as centrally located. There are stores between my transit stop
and my house. There are entire malls within 2 miles of my route. It's
not like I have to drive 20 miles to get to any particular store. Unless
I really WANT to go to Wal*Mart. We don't have one of those anywhere in
Washington County.

--
Russ Johnson
Dimension 7/Stargate Online

Top post? http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Random thought #11 (Collect all 22)
"Every year, back comes Spring, with nasty little birds yapping their fool heads off and the ground all mucked up with plants." - Dorothy Parker