[PLUG-TALK] Paypal verification process, is it safe?

none 1663eesa at goose.robinson-west.com
Tue Dec 16 20:52:24 UTC 2003

> You will find details on this in their service agreement.  Did you bother
> to read that?

Yes, but paypal says not to give out bank account numbers even
though they ask for one to verify account holders.  What does it
minimally take to withdraw from a Washington Mutual account online?
Do I need to to deny online withdraws?  If you can get into one account
at my bank, you can get into any other account.  I guess that I should
eventually keep money at multiple institutions.  Identify theft is a
huge problem, Oregon is apparently the worst state in the nation for
it.

My greatest concern is avoiding the transmission of actual cash
online.  That's probably better than money order in the mail,
but at least the money order is a fixed amount.  Credit cards
are insured by credit card companies against fraud.  Why does
paypal need to know about a bank account before allowing me
to pay with a credit card?  Are they worried that I or
someone abusing my paypal account will steal a credit card
and they'll be held liable?