[PLUG-TALK] Anti-war vs war mongers. (ick)

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Tue Jan 14 23:35:00 UTC 2003

You know, there's a big difference in "fighting for freedom" like we did
in WWI/II and "fighting for oil" like this will be in the Persian Gulf.

I understand the sentiment you have, and I would lay down my life to
defend freedom. However, part of that freedom is that Dan has the
"RIGHT" to protest what his government is doing. That's one of many
RIGHTS the military fights to protect. So telling them to fuck off,
while it might be within your rights, it's not proper to take away their
right to protest either.

On the other hand....

Look at what we're fighting for. Saddam is a threat. Not a big one, but
he is a threat. If he has weapons of mass destruction at his disposal,
then he should be made to at least give them up. At least Adolph was
trying to take over the whole world and exterminate certain classes of
people. But then, Saddam has done similar things. When does it become
something we should get involved in?

On still another hand....

This country is dependent on foreign oil. There's no getting around that
fact. If we lose the ability to conduct commerce, then we lose, period.
Without fuel, our machine stops. People think we're in bad shape now,
with 10% unemployment... Without fuel, we'd likely see 50% or better
unemployment. Obviously, it's in our best interest to continue to be
able to acquire oil, until such time as we find another fuel, and it
becomes available in sufficient quantities to be feasible.

***

I support our military to protect us from all enemies, foreign and
domestic. Saddam is an enemy. He has proven that he wants to take on the
US. However, I don't think we are justified, as yet, to attack Iraq.
Will there be a time when we should? Possibly. And then I will change my
stance. Until that time, I support the men and women in our military,
but I don't support Bush sending them to the middle east. The military
is a pawn that gets to be the scape goat.

--
Russ Johnson
Stargate Online