[PLUG-TALK] Anti-war vs war mongers. (ick)

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Wed Jan 15 04:43:21 UTC 2003

Carla Schroder wrote:

>I've yet to meet a combat vet who was gung-ho on war, least of all a
>trumped-up war like the one with Iraq. It's so easy to beat that drum when
>other people are sent away to do the dirty work.

And now you've met a non-combat vet who's not gung-ho on war. :)

I believe fighting for our rights is a good thing. That includes the
right to voice your opinion, even if it's out of line with the rest of
the "norm". In that sentence, "normal" is whatever you want it to be. :)

>It's embarrassing to even have to point this out, it's so obvious-
>criticizing Administration policy, and criticizing our excellent
>servicepeople, are not the same things. The women and men in our armed
>services are fine people serving their country, and they deserve a much
>better Commander in Chief. This Administration is scary. They're going to
>drive us into a world war, for no good reason at all.

Which is pretty much what happened in Vietnam. People blamed the service
people for the atrocities, both real and perceived. What most folks
don't understand is that you swear an oath to follow all "lawful orders"
from those placed over you. Unless you can prove it's an unlawful order,
you have to do it. On top of that, most of the "kids" there were scared
of everything, including their commanding officers.

Russ Johnson