[PLUG-TALK] Re: [PLUG] No Linux Clinic this month

Russell Evans russell-evans at uswest.net
Thu Mar 13 01:58:59 UTC 2003

On 12 Mar 2003 17:52:02 -0800, Russell Senior said:

>  RE> At the last Portland peace march, there was this old lady marching
>  RE> that got on TV. She said "I did it in the 60's and I'm doing it
>  RE> again." 1.6-7 million Cambodians died because we failed in
>  RE> Vietnam; http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khmer_Rouge.  I wonder if
>  RE> the old lady would think her actions in the 60's effected those
>  RE> 1.7 million?
>
>  I'd say that the millions of dead Cambodians are pretty much a direct
>  result of Americans intervention in greater Indochina to begin with.
>  So, old lady right then, old lady right now.

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khmer_Rouge
Until 1970, Cambodia was a constitutional monarchy. Prince Norodom Sihanouk was
deposed on March 18, 1970, and brought to power the pro-American General Lon
Nol.

The Khmer Rouge army (the National Army of Democratic Kampuchea), aided by
North Vietnam and supported by Norodom Sihanouk, began a revolution in response
in 1970, quickly gaining control over most of the country. In April 1975 they
finally overthrew Lon Nol, to establish Democratic Kampuchea.