[PLUG-TALK] Re: [PLUG] No Linux Clinic this month

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Wed Mar 12 20:36:45 PST 2003

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Russell Evans wrote:
> http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khmer_Rouge
> Until 1970, Cambodia was a constitutional monarchy. Prince Norodom
> Sihanouk was deposed on March 18, 1970, and brought to power the
> pro-American General Lon Nol.

I think you're backing up Mr. Senior's point.

If the U.S. didn't actively support pro-American military dictators,
neither situation would have been the same.

The United States has a very long record of overthrowing democratic
governments and subverting democratic systems.  Democracy isn't and has
never been of prime importance in U.S. foreign policy.  If the U.S. hadn't
supported Saddam Hussein (in order to escalate the war with Iran... while
the U.S. continued to support Iran to escalate the war with Iraq), the
situation would be very different.

The military's only use is to kill people and break things.  If you want
people dead and stuff broken, go ahead and invade.  If you want to
decrease suffering and increase democracy, military invasion is the worst
possible course of action.

Realize that this entire event is about SUBVERTING democratic fora in
order to further the idea that U.S. supremacy is unreproachable and
underscore the idea of global domination by the United States.  Votes mean
nothing to the U.S. federal government.  The UN means nothing.  The Iraqi
people mean nothing.

Note that I do not lay the blame at the feet of the Bush administration.
This is a problem with both the Republican and Democratic leadership at
the federal level.  Colin Powell's words are mere echoes of Madeleine
Albright under Clinton when she said, "We will act with our allies when we
can and unilaterally when we must."

I can't imagine how anyone can fail to see that the events of 11
September, 2001 were the direct result of this kind of foreign policy.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net