[PLUG-TALK] Re: [PLUG] No Linux Clinic this month

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Fri Mar 14 03:53:25 UTC 2003

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Russell Evans wrote:
> Pro-American does not mean American sponsored.

Strictly speaking, "Pro-American" doesn't necessarily mean
"American-sponsored".  However, you'll find that, in practice, it means
either that or "seeking American sponsorship".

The U.S. consistently supports pro-American (and I mean that as
pro-American business interests... I'm not sure what it would mean
otherwise, in this context, as that's the primary focus of international
relations) dictators and military regimes.  You'll find, also, that
there's pretty much no such thing as a pro-American foreign democracy
outside of the heavily dependent U.S. client states (Israel and the UK,
most notably).

Rather than point you to some left-wing or conspiracy-theorist journal,
I'll let the power structure tell you about it in their own words.

I recommend you read the memoirs of Thomas Carothers, formerly of the U.S.
State Department.  This man details (without ever flinching in his loyalty
toward the Reaganites and their philosophy) the policies laid out in his
democratic development concerns in Latin and South Americas in the 1980s.
Particularly, he notes that he was expressly told not to work toward
democracy if a democratic government would not tolerate the nation's
"traditional economic role".  Also, those people in a nation who believed
"that a nation's resources should benefit the people of that nation" [as
opposed to foreign investors] are "Radical Nationalists".

Secondly, I'd recommend you read the report produced by Cheney and
Rummsfeld's (among others) Project For The New American Century which
describes a system by which the United States world domination through
military brutality and economic warfare shall be maintained by destroying
the capacity of any nation to reach a state of autonomy and independence
of U.S. support.

If you'd like some better analysis of the interesting reports coming out
of the ruling regime, I recommend you read issues 33 & 34 of the journal
"Aspects of India's Economy" published by the Research Unit for Political
Economy in Mumbai (Bombay).  You can find it online at:

It's all about protectionism for us and brutal, unforgiving systems for
everyone else.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin