[PLUG-TALK] reliance on technology (was: Redhat changes, fedora)

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Wed Nov 5 19:13:33 UTC 2003

>>>>> "Jeme" == Jeme A Brelin <jeme at brelin.net> writes:

Jeme> I've always said that if I have children, they can't have any
Jeme> toys until they can tell me how they work.  That means, of
Jeme> course, nothing but solid objects and obvious simple machines
Jeme> for a few years.

On the subject of toys, my oldest was home from pre-school with a cold
yesterday, and I was less distracted than usual, so we made a string
telephone.  I hadn't done that for at least 30 years.  Was a lot of
fun.  Works surprisingly well.  Simple physical principle.  My
youngest (under 2) still doesn't get that the string has to have some
tension in order to transmit the signal, so it wasn't working very
well for him.

Personally, I think "magic" is okay but it is useful to be able to
explain the "trick" to them when they ask.

seniorr at aracnet.com