[PLUG-TALK] reliance on technology (was: Redhat changes, fedora)

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Wed Nov 5 19:52:25 UTC 2003

You sent two copies again.

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Russ Johnson wrote:
> Basic understanding, I can agree to. Working knowledge. Nope. Won't ever
> happen. I would venture to guess that if you had to build your own
> bicycle from scratch, that you don't have a working knowledge of, or
> access to, a blast furnace.

Again, the message explicitly mentioned manufacturing techniques.

Access to resources isn't nearly as important as understanding the
concepts.

> Once we reach a certain level of technology, it's impossible for one
> person to understand everything about everything. To attempt to do so is
> to set yourself up for failure.

If you're not setting yourself up for failure, your goals are too low.

Have you no ideals?

Learning and personal growth are asymptotic, not stepping functions.

> I have an understanding of how most of the stuff I come in contact with
> works. I believe you are the same. At the same time, I realize that it's
> impossible for me to "know it all". There's not time in my life for
> that, even if my brain has that capacity.

But you can try... and keep trying.  And try to stay away from stuff that
you believe you can't ever understand.

> Then, there are folks that I just don't want messing with the
> technology.

That's not for you to say.

> > I've always said that if I have children, they can't have any toys
> > until they can tell me how they work.  That means, of course, nothing
> > but solid objects and obvious simple machines for a few years.
>
> And by doing so, you limit them. You've just eliminated one of the best
> learning tools there is.

No, I've just increased the motivation to learn.

> My parents gave me my first bicycle when I was 3.

I don't know any three-year-olds with the balance for a bicycle.  I've
seen a few five-year-olds that are quite competent unicyclists, however.

> By 5 I was taking it apart and putting back together. Without doing
> that, (on my own, without any help from my parents) I may not have the
> mechanical skills I have today.

I think that anyone can understand and explain how a bicycle works by 5...
at least one without an internally geared hub or indexed derailleur.

> First of all, small children only learn by touch.

That's crazy talk.

> They can't read, so they can't learn by studying books.

They can build and experiment and listen.  And I was reading with decent
comprehension by 3.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin