[PLUG-TALK] Re: [PLUG] Redhat changes, fedora

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Wed Nov 5 19:57:26 UTC 2003

* Jeme A Brelin <jeme at brelin.net> [2003-11-05 10:25]:

> On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Josh Orchard wrote:
> > I would hope if you really wanted Linux to succeed for the masses then
> > you would want it to be on the store shelves.  It has to be widely
> > available for that to work.  And not just a download.
>
> I don't understand your problem with downloads.  That's the right way to
> distribute information, period: less waste, more portability, infinitely
> redistributable, easily mutable.

I don't think Josh has a problem with downloads, per se. However, the
information should be available in as may forms as possible. Boxes on
shelves are still a good method.

I can hear you know telling us that it's wasteful because of the
resources it takes up. Downloads take as much, if not more. Once the CD
is produced, it will take a finite amount of resources.

Downloading requires LOTS of electricity. Every device the bits travel
through takes power. If I'm downloading from a remote server, then the
bits can easily go through 100 devices, all using power.

I'd estimate that it's about a wash as far as which method is "cheaper"
on an environmental scale.

> Sure, not everybody has good bandwidth, but quite frankly, if you don't
> have the bandwidth, why run a multi-user networking operating system?  And
> how are you going to keep on top of updates?  Or contribute to the support
> community?

So now you are advocating being a snob? I'm shocked.

Anything less than
a DSL line isn't good for major downloads, yet a person on dialup can
contribute to support, get updates, etc.

The catch here is that they don't HAVE to contribute. Many do, but it's
not a requirement. About the only penalty is bad juju.

--
Russ Johnson
Dimension 7/Stargate Online

Top post? http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Random thought #10 (Collect all 21)
"Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies." - Frederick Nietzsche