[PLUG-TALK] Re: [PLUG] Enclousures and power

Brent Rieck bsr at spek.org
Tue Nov 11 18:41:45 UTC 2003

since this is off topic now..

Russ Johnson wrote:
> * Zot O'Connor <zot at whiteknighthackers.com> [2003-11-11 02:32]:
>>It depends on how fast the battery approaches the concrete...
>
> And, as any mechanic can tell you, storing a lead-acid battery on
> concrete will cause it to discharge. A fully charged battery can be dead
> in less than a week stored on concrete.

I've repeatedly read what this was true with OLD car batteries, but is
false with a clean, modern battery, and a quick web search reveals the
following urls supporting that.  In fact the "concrete's okay, really"
sites seem to outnumber the "concrete's evil" sites by a wide margin.

http://uuhome.de/william.darden/carfaq14.htm#concrete

http://www.pacificpowerbatteries.com/aboutbatts/Car%20Battery%20FAQ/carfaq14.html

http://www.nsf.gov/nstw_questions/phys/quest044.htm

--Brent