[PLUG-TALK] Michael, On the subject of God.

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Fri Nov 14 18:13:42 UTC 2003

* Michael C. Robinson <michael at robinson-west.com> [2003-11-14 09:31]:
> Why are you putting limitations on God Russ?  Just because
> he knows multiple possibilities does that mean he doesn't
> know which one?

And if he knows which one you will choose, you've just given up free
will. It also precludes "multiple possibilities".

The two concepts are mutually exclusive. You can't have it both ways.
Either he knows what you are going to do, or he doesn't. If he knows
what you are going to do, then you can't decide differently, and in
turn, you don't have free will, because what you are going to do is set
in gods plan.

> Maybe your problem is that you're
> restricting Him in time.  I'd say knowing from among all
> possibilities what we will do without removing free will
> from us makes him more than just omnipotent.

See above.

> Look at Him
> being outside of time and suddenly it isn't so hard to
> see how He can know what we are going to do without
> making us do it.

This is the usual argument, but it does not change the fact the WE live
in linear time, so if he knows what you will do, YOU don't have
freewill.

If there are multiple possiblities, then HE can't know what you will do.

If he's outside of time, and he knows what you will do, then what's the
point of multiple possibilities? It's already decided what you will do,
so that precludes your freewill.

--
Russ Johnson
Dimension 7/Stargate Online

Top post? http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Random thought #22 (Collect all 22)
 "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners." -Ernst Jan Plugge