[PLUG-TALK] Re: [PLUG] Batteries and UPSs

Don Buchholz buchholz at easystreet.com
Sat Nov 15 02:28:55 UTC 2003

Jeme A Brelin wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Holger Stephan wrote:
>

>>There are more poisonous materials in an average household than diluted
>>sulfuric acid as in a car battery.
>>

>Phew.  Your house, maybe.
>
>I think the strongest chemical in my house is Siracha rooster sauce.
>
>OK, seriously... there's some heavy poison in some of my electronics,
>certainly, but nothing volitile.
>

>>Yes, it will eat cotton and other fabrics and irritate your skin but
>>otherwise it is not even known to cause cancer.
>>

>So sulfuric acid is less dangerous than red meat?
>
>J.

Consider this .... sufuric acid and lye.  By themselves, either one is
really
bad, but mixed together in the correct ratio, and you get a fairly safe
result.

     2 NaOH  +   H2SO4   --->   Na2SO4  + 2 H20

... and, IIRC, sodium sulfate isn't terribly dangerous.  One MSDS can be
viewed here:  http://www.gileschemical.com/tech/na2ssads.htm

Another one ... muriatic (or hydrochloric) acid

         HCl +  NaOH  --->  NaCl + H20

that would be salt (NaCl) and water.

However, I wouldn't drink the results from the mix of two industrial-grade
chemical sources, even after the pH (acid/caustic) was neutralized.  The
unknown impurities (likely heavy metals) would probably be bad news.

- Don