[PLUG-TALK] How to be a good Democrat

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Mon Oct 20 05:04:35 UTC 2003

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 19:08:59 -0700 (PDT)
Jeme A Brelin <jeme at brelin.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Oct 2003, Russ Johnson wrote:
> > The problem is, that for the vast majority of folks that vote, that's
> > how they think.
>
> You have a very poor opinion of your fellow man.

I've been watching "my fellow man" for nearly 40 years. I have a lot of first hand experience with how stupid the average human can be.

Note... I said "average". There are exceptions to this rule. However small that minority might be.

> The problem is that in order to take this so-called "Social Darwinist"
> perspective to any kind of logical conclusion, you end up being inhumane
> and hurtful.

Example?

> > This is exactly why the founding fathers created this country as a
> > republic, not a democracy.
>
> Um, no.  James Madison worked very hard to keep democracy out of the
> Constitution because he didn't want to lose his wealth and power.  As he
> said at the Convention, the purpose of government is "to protect the
> opulent minority against the majority."

That's one example. You use it every chance you get. There were lots of other guys on that project too.

> > Tommy Lee Jones character (Agent K) in MIB said it best, "A *person* is
> > smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
>
> And so you must treat each individual as though they are smart.

Until proven otherwise. I do just that. When someone proves (to MY satisfaction) that they are a complete idiot, I treat them as such.

--
Russ Johnson
Dimension 7/Stargate Online

Top post? http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Is it a co-incidence that there are 42 characters, including spaces, in the following sentence:

"Answer to life the universe and everything"