[PLUG-TALK] University of Phoenix...

Michael C. Robinson michael at goose.robinson-west.com
Wed Sep 3 07:45:51 PDT 2003

> Fat chance.  Welcome to post-industrial labor market
>
> capitalism, sir.

It may take a doctorate, but the department of Interior is a
very stable employer for my Dad.  How much of the instability
is true for people who simply want to get rich verses people
who are more interested in a long term career?  There was
a time in tech you never stayed in one place long because of
the stock options.  Software companies have been able to force
people to program fast and poorly leading to zero demand for
quality software beyond those companies that absolutely have
to have it.  This should be less of an issue now that the the
courts are considering making companies liable for glaring
security weaknesses in their products.  Things will get
better so long as SCO, Microsoft or any other entity for that
matter doesn't dismantle the GPL.

The sad thing about computer science is that you come out very
narrowly educated.  If you aren't somewhat more stable than
everyone else, why bother with it at all?  I think the software
market for Linux systems is wide open just as I think that the
idea of a better value in software may soon resonate with
consumers who are fed up with the problems of the mainstream
choices.  The environment to compete with the Microsoft's and
SCO's of the world may finally be coming into existence.
CS is a hard to get B.S. that for all intense purposes looks
to be an extreme risk.

One theory is that the addiction to Windows is 90% responsible
for the tech crash.  It's like we all learned very early on,
build on a good foundation or you will collapse in the very
near future.  There need to be long term studies and the field
of software engineering needs a major overhaul, yesterday.
The dot bust was caused by foolish speculation that
everyone wanted to get on a computer just because it's a
computer.  A number of online markets were less convenient
than the local grocery store, etc.  Perishables, among other
things, don't ship well.

With the absence of quality software and stable systems over
the whole, it could be argued these factors are limiting or
even defeating the advantages of computer technology wholly.
It's truly sad that so much a computer could do is so heavily
impacted by incapacity of the current industry environment to
support the needed research and diligence.

     --  Michael