[PLUG-TALK] What is XML?

Michael C. Robinson michael at goose.robinson-west.com
Mon Sep 8 02:07:29 UTC 2003

Checking the ports on a local 2000 box I found that ports 445 and 1025
were open.  Evidently one of them is an RPC port so looking deeper
I find a ton of security warnings on google about these ports.

I ran into a HOWTO comparing SOAP, CORBA, DCOM, and I guess XML.
Evidently these projects are about running programs over the
Internet written in standard languages including C, C++, etc.

A lot of the security warnings are about worms and the like that
via improperly formed data infect Windows boxes through RPC ports.
How are the Linux alternatives for running programs over the net
better suited to dealing with malformed data?  What is common
practice for securing CORBA, etc?