[PLUG-TALK] Is it just me, or...

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Tue Sep 16 05:04:19 UTC 2003

On 15 Sep 2003 21:30:21 -0700
"Michael C. Robinson" <michael at goose.robinson-west.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 19:29, Russ Johnson wrote:
> > On 15 Sep 2003 15:52:11 -0700
> > "Michael C. Robinson" <michael at goose.robinson-west.com> wrote:
>
> I don't know how to compare the IBM public license to the GPL.
> The GPL seems to require publishing any changes made to the source
> with it and keeping the code under the GPL.

No, the GPL requires you to release the source, if you release the binary. If you make changes and never give them to anyone, then you don't have to release the source.

> I don't trust the
> IBM license as there doesn't seem to be any requirement to
> indicate if a copy of Postfix source is in fact a derivative
> work from IBM's public version.  How can I be safe?

I'm not sure I see a problem. Download postfix from an authoritative server and use that. Make sure the MD5 sum matches.

--
Russ Johnson
Dimension 7/Stargate Online

Top post? http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Random thought #12 (Collect all 20)
"Attitudes are capable of making the same experience either pleasant or painful." - John Powell