[PLUG-TALK] banning folks from PLUG mailing list

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Wed Feb 4 21:12:13 UTC 2004

>>>>> "gepr" == gepr  <gepr at tempusdictum.com> writes:

gepr> [grin] Sure!!  Lots of people use the word "clearly" to indicate
gepr> objectively visible things.  I remember back in my topology
gepr> class at college, my prof always used to say thing like "clearly
gepr> the topological space is compact".  And if a math prof isn't
gepr> objective, who is?

This doesn't directly follow your remarks, but _most_ of the time I
hear people use the word "clearly" or "obviously" it is because they
are unable or unwilling to articulate a reason.  It is a big red flare
that says: "I AM TRYING TO BLOW SOMETHING PAST YOU!"  I'll acknowledge
that isn't necessarily the case, but I've been conditioned to have
a skeptical response.

seniorr at aracnet.com