[PLUG-TALK] Resolution.

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Thu Feb 5 22:33:04 UTC 2004

This is dumb.

The banning is a pointless maneuver intended by some small clique to
chastise Robby for behavior they don't like.  It's an abuse of power, pure
and simple.

PLUG isn't anarchistic by ethos or even design.  It is an archistic for
lack of power to rule.  Robby can just (and has) sign up with a new
address.  And if they ban his whole domain, then he'll use a different
one.  (I'm not talking about Robby specifically, here, but the
theoretically banned person that we'll call "Robby".)  The force of
banning is just so much ruffling of feathers and puffing up.  There are no
claws, no teeth.  The banning was more like, "You're going to
inconvenience me, well, I'm going to inconvenience you!"  Talk about petty
and childish.

Robby (specifically) has expressed a kind of regret for his actions.  It's
really the best we can hope for given his character.  He made a mistake.
He went to far.  (In his words, he was "not mindful" or somesuch, but it's
the same thing.)

Let's just grow up, suck it up, remove the ban and learn a lesson about
pushing people around.

We can ask Robby to be more mindful in the future.  I, for one, sincerely
hope he takes it to heart.  It might be too much to ask him not to take
the whole thing personally and maybe throw an emotional invective around,
but I want to trust him to use his best judgment and listen to those who
tell him he's out of line.

I think that if we take the position of civilized adults, he will, too.

Oh, and we definitely need to get more people into that mail
administration loop to hopefully mitigate the damage next time somebody
gets a similar wild hair.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin