[PLUG-TALK] Bitching.

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Thu Feb 12 22:54:39 UTC 2004

So, I have to install Windows 2000 on these three computers.  That sucks
enough.

But now I'm using this Windows Update thing to install service packs and
whatnot.  Works fine... a little slow and totally opaque to the user, but
works.

So then I get the thing up to where there is nothing in the "critical
updates" section.  I install Windows Media Player 9 via the Windows Update
utility.  Immediately after, there are two "critical updates" for Windows
Media Player 9.  What the fuck?  Why don't they just roll those into the
package?

Colossal waste of my time.  Ten minutes' work on their end saves ten
minutes for each user.

Let's say they've got 100,000,000 users.  So that's what, 100,000,000
minutes or 190 man-years wasted by Microsoft's laziness.  OK, so let's say
only one in ten installations bother... that's still 19 years of
productivity Microsoft has wasted because of their laziness.

When you have that many users, you have an obligation to the entire planet
to minimize administration time.

I won't even go into the bandwidth.

J.
--