[PLUG-TALK] PIFF 2004 (was Bitching.)

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Sat Feb 14 00:24:07 UTC 2004

>>>>> "gepr" == gepr  <gepr at tempusdictum.com> writes:

gepr> I wonder if Bertanlaffy, Foerster, or Wiener ever had to deal
gepr> with this issue?

Russell> What other movies have they been in?  ;-)

gepr> I think I saw a cameo in Fear and Loathing... or was that
gepr> Brazil?

Apropos of movies (and hey, this is plug-talk!), as you are relatively
new in town (and for anyone else), I thought I should mention the
Portland International Film Festival that starts tonight and runs for
three weekends and the weeks in between.  <http://www.nwfilm.org/>

Before we had children, Heidi and I used to get a Silver Screen pass
(which allowed you to jump the queue and was good for two people) and
basically go to every damn thing we could.  The first year we did this
we saw about 35 or 40 films.  Since children (and probably for a few
more years yet) we've been severely crimped when it comes to the
fraction of our schedule available for movies out, and thus our
enjoyment is now mostly vicarious.

Some of the films are better than others.  Some are very good and
you'll _never_ get another chance to see them (I recall a Czech film
that fits this particular description).  Of course you never really
know ahead of time which is which, so it is best to see as many as you
can to improve your chances.

If they are still doing things like they used to, there is a
three-tiered priority to seating.  The silver screen and festival pass
people can walk right in, advanced ticket holders go in next, then any
seats left over are sold to people in line.  Though, since we were
"more equal than others", I may not be remembering all of that
accurately.

seniorr at aracnet.com