[PLUG-TALK] Bitching.

gepr at tempusdictum.com gepr at tempusdictum.com
Sat Feb 14 18:32:46 UTC 2004

Paul Johnson writes:
 > gepr>  senior> gepr> I wonder if Bertanlaffy, Foerster, or Wiener ever had to deal
 > gepr>  senior> gepr> with this issue?

 > gepr>  senior>
 > gepr>  senior> What other movies have they been in?  ;-)
 > gepr>
 > gepr> I think I saw a cameo in Fear and Loathing... or was that Brazil?
 >
 > None of the names sound familiar, and I've seen both movies several
 > times.  Terry Gilliam is a genius.  Best assignment I ever had back in
 > high school: I had to write a 5 page report for film class about
 > Gilliam's movies.  Probably the only time I willfully pulled an
 > all-nighter for research.

Sorry.  That was a joke.  B, F, and W were some of the founders
of the field of cybernetics, which was related to the "reflective"
nature of giving your vendor the finger but continuing to purchase
that vendor's products.... it's a viscious circle... or an example
of positive feedback.

I think both F&L and Brazil are highly reflective movies.  (Note,
I'm using "reflective" in the sense of "reflexion"... the psychological
sense of self-referencing... or, perhaps, the programming sense of
objects examining the interfaces of other objects via a common
protocol.... I don't really mean "reflective" in the sense of "it
makes you think".)

--
glen e. p. ropella              =><=                           Hail Eris!
H: 503.630.4505                              http://www.ropella.net/~gepr