[PLUG-TALK] ... in your day

gepr at tempusdictum.com gepr at tempusdictum.com
Mon Feb 16 23:27:02 UTC 2004

Don Buchholz writes:
 > > Well, that was ten years ago.  I know plenty of people twice my age (and a
 > > couple two and half times!) who are active participants in the modern
 > > world and do not feel as though "their day" has passed.
 > >
 > > Your day ends when you let it.
 > >

 > Ah, but in some fields of human endeavor, that is not the case.
 > Consider the aged athelete ...

Actually, it seems like there are definitely plenty of useful places
for aged athletes in our society.  The celebrities can go on to be
role models for large sets of the population, launching careers as
spokespeople and spouting political opinions.  The non-celebrities
can become mentors for other athletes or for people who somehow think
that sports are high up on the ladder of human activity.

Look at all the ex-Olympians who have interesting jobs at ice shows
or advertising lip balm.  And every bit of knowledge I got about
baseball, soccer, or running was passed on to me by ex athletes.
(Not so much "ex-" as "beyond their prime", really.)

So, I still think it's true that "Your day ends when you let it."
Every event is an opportunity... you either exploit it or you let
it slip by.

--
glen e. p. ropella              =><=                           Hail Eris!
H: 503.630.4505                              http://www.ropella.net/~gepr