[PLUG-TALK] Re: [PLUG] E-mail etiquette: why MS users don't have it

gepr at tempusdictum.com gepr at tempusdictum.com
Mon Feb 23 21:34:26 UTC 2004

Russell Senior writes:

 > gepr> And do you think that context is _always_ linear?
 >
 > I qoute as a point of departure.  They are essentially the places at
 > which I would (or would want to) rudely interrupt the other guy/gal if
 > we were talking.

That's a believable reason for interspersing comments.  I.e. it has
little to do with actually responding to comments made by others
and alot to do with the dynamic negotiation of dialogue.

The only problem is we have fewer ways of interrupting.  I REALLY WISH
THERE WERE A WAY TO OUT-SHOUT PEOPLE WITH ASCII.  Hmmmm....  that just
doesn't have the same effect.  Perhaps we ought to begin writing
emails with the same annotation they provide in screenplays and
scripts.  I'd like to see the script for 12 Angry Men or that movie
with Ben Kingsley and Sigourney Weaver.... I forget the name...  Was
it "Death and the Maiden"?  We could even invent CML (Conversational
Markup Language) and begin emailing CML formatted documents.

 > As an aside, I have limited stack depth, but pathologically like to
 > recurse/digress anyway, often blowing the stack and leaving me
 > incapable of completing the original thought.  But since I can't
 > remember the original thought any more, it doesn't bother me so much.

My stack depth is sensitive to context.  If I'm talking with someone
about an idea I've thought alot about, then it's pretty deep.  If not,
then it's _really_ shallow.  It's also very sensitive to how much
beer I've had.  But, the more relevant data structure than stack
depth are the number of stacks.  Interspersing comments requires
you to either be a one-track type person (like a typical lookout
user) or be capable of carrying around the branching weave of
threads.

 > One of the things about top-posting that annoys me (and presumably
 > others) is the quoting of the _entire_ parent article.  If you are
 > going to write your own essay or whatever, then I'd advise just doing
 > that.  Assuming we are reading the same forum, we've already seen the
 > other guys/gals essay, we don't particularly need to see it again.
 > The repetition seems so gratuitous.

I agree, here.  And this is where bottom-posting and interspersing
win hands-down.  Both encourage considerate behavior on the part of
the "quoter".

 >  And, assuming non-broken[1] email
 > client on the other end, in Emacs/Gnus[2] the parent is just a
 > keystroke away and I can see it that way if I need to.  To me the
 > primary utility of quoting is just as an aid to memory, and
 > consequently can be and "ought to be" fairly brief.

Yep!  Perhaps one day I'll take off my VM training wheels and move
to Gnus.

 > And, btw, I like grape nuts or granola with fresh fruit for breakfast
 > (especially, bananas, or in-season strawberries or raspberries). ;-)
 >
 > Another note to newcomer Glen, stay tuned for "berry season".  Fresh
 > strawberries here are amazingly unlike anything you find in grocery
 > stores.  Appearance is no substitute for flavor.  Shipability/
 > shelf-life is inversely proportional to sweetness and flavor.  One
 > excellent local variety is "Hood".  Strawberry season lasts about
 > three weeks in mid-June.

As I age, I find that more structure is appropriate.  I'm currently
into the mixed bags with lots of different things.  If I could, I'd
probably just pour some Silk over trail mix.

And berries are an excellent addition.  I've seen "Hood berries" on
signs and such... I just figured it was because we live on one of
the routes to Mt. Hood.  Thanks for the recommendation!

--
glen e. p. ropella              =><=                           Hail Eris!
H: 503.630.4505                              http://www.ropella.net/~gepr