[PLUG-TALK] Need new mailing list - plug-strawberries

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Tue Feb 24 07:42:46 UTC 2004

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

>Russell Senior writes:
>> Another note to newcomer Glen, stay tuned for "berry season".  Fresh
>> strawberries here are amazingly unlike anything you find in grocery
>> stores.  Appearance is no substitute for flavor.  Shipability/
>> shelf-life is inversely proportional to sweetness and flavor.  One
>> excellent local variety is "Hood".  Strawberry season lasts about
>> three weeks in mid-June.
>
>Perhaps it would be on-topic to discuss setting up "plug-strawberries",
>for arguments about the best varieties (I am a Hood man, myself) and
>early warning about the best sites to find them (my favorite stand
>closed down last year :-( ).  We may not agree about top vs. bottom
>posting, but talk about strawberries dwarfs such picayune considerations!

I have spent some time in New England this year. It amazed me how
_serious_ the berry debates were. I claimed victory since I've had
fresh Maine berries and they had not had fresh Oregon berries. They
claimed that I could very well be lying. Douglas Adams would have
appreciated the conversation ;-)

I'm off to do something productive before this degrades into a
hop and/or grape war.

-Eric