[PLUG-TALK] Need new mailing list - plug-strawberries

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Tue Feb 24 08:16:59 UTC 2004

>>>>> "Keith" == Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> writes:

Keith> Perhaps it would be on-topic to discuss setting up
Keith> "plug-strawberries", for arguments about the best varieties (I
Keith> am a Hood man, myself) and early warning about the best sites
Keith> to find them (my favorite stand closed down last year :-( ).

I have had a side-by-side tasting for several years in a row now, with
just about every kind and every farm I can easily get my hands on.
Last year, I went to the downtown farmers market and got some from
every vendor there (14 different), plus a carton of california berries
from Albertsons.

The first year, it was pretty much just Hoods and Totems.  Hoods were
consistently good, but some of the Totems gave them a run for their
money.  The Totems that year had a larger standard deviation, some
were _really_ good and others just so-so.  Since then (I think at
least three years in a row now) the Totems have been real stinkers
... almost inedible.  Puget Reliance and Shuksan not quite as common
and seem to come on a little later, Bentons a little earlier.  There
is one called "Seaspray" which is an everbearing variety.

Then, there is something called a "Chandler".  Beware!  This is grown
in Oregon but is a California-type shipping berry.  The vendor signs
invariably say "Oregon Strawberries", which is technically accurate,
and they are big beautiful berries, but they lack the flavor we have
come to associate with the "real" local varieties.

The winner of our tasting year-in and year-out is the Hood.

And if someone can tell me the secret behind getting a decent Totem,
please share.  A lot are grown, so there _must_ be a secret.

One other note, my reliable in-town source used to be the "duck food"
place near Crystal Springs/Reed College, but they sold out to some
newbies that don't know strawberries for beans.

seniorr at aracnet.com