[PLUG-TALK] MWVLUG - Corvallis LUG 2004/03/02 6:30 - Lean Software Development

John Sechrest sechrest at peak.org
Tue Feb 24 22:32:30 UTC 2004

      Mid-Willamette Valley Linux Users Group Meeting
      March 2nd , 2004
      6:30 PM
      Owen Hall 101 - Corvallis OSU Campus (15th + campus way)

      ------

      Hello, The next LUG meeting will focus a bit on the
      software development process and try to get new insights
      into how software can be developed. As a part of this
      presentation, I hope to continue a dialog about how
      open source software development can be approached in new ways.

      Lean Software Development and Organizational Alignment
      By Dr Peter Middleton MBA

      Lean software development: Evidence is emerging from Lockheed
      Martin, MIT and other literature that lean techniques have much
      to offer software developers.  Lean techniques are potentially
      superior to CMM and Agile approaches.  This talk presents the
      key ideas and presents some initial evidence.

      Organizational Alignment: Influence on software quality.  This
      talk presents results which indicate that the way people are
      motivated, communicated with and organised directly impacts on
      their productivity and the quality of their software.  It
      suggests that checking for organisational alignment should be a
      first step in improving developer performance.  The talk shows
      how this can be carried out.

      Brief Bio:

      Peter Middleton is a Senior Lecturer in Computer Science at
      Queen's University in Ireland. His research focus is on how to
      improve software quality in practice. His PhD is from Imperial
      College, London and his MBA is from the University of Ulster. He
      has completed software quality research projects with Lockheed
      Martin, IBM Research Labs, the European Commission and in
      Bangalore, India. He has worked with many small companies on
      implementing better software practices.  His current work is on
      exploring how lean techniques can best be applied to software
      development. He worked in industry for 10 years before joining
      the university in 1990, so his research work is practical and
      applied.

      Dr Peter Middleton MBA
      Senior Lecturer
      School of Computer Science
      Queen's University Belfast
      BT7 1NN
      Northern Ireland UK

---

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Or if you have
any suggestions for future speakers.

BTW, I am hunting for a (good) XML developer. If you know someone who
would like to talk, please have them contact me.

                        .           computers and the Internet
                          .            more effectively
                            .
                               .       Internet: sechrest at peak.org