[PLUG-TALK] morality in media...

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Tue Jan 20 01:00:09 UTC 2004

anonymous wrote:

>>Michael, don't you have to judge it to be porn before you can "go after it"?
>>
>>Every decision you make is judging.
>>
>>At the same time, *YOU* have no right to tell *ME* what I can and can't
>>look at or read.
>>
>>If I want a subscription to Playboy, Penthouse, Hustler and Big Ones,
>>that's MY business, and not yours.
>>
>>If you want to regulate these things so that minors are not used, that's
>>one thing. Outright banning the adult entertainment industry is wrong.
>>
>>Next, you'll be trying to outlaw alcohol and tobacco.
>>

>I'm not for bamnning alcohol because their are possible benefits
>of it in moderation and there are religious applications as well.

The mormans don't think so. If they were trying to tell us what we could
do like you are, they would be trying to outlaw both alcohol and
tobacco, as well as certain types of foods.

>A porn subscription does harm someone, it is a drug that needs
>a market.

Not all porn does this. Just as alcohol can be abused, and SOME PEOPLE
should not drink, there are some people that shouldn't view porn.

>The porn industry ignores privacy and exclusivity
>in male female relationships

This "exclusivity" is a product of present day man. Your instincts
compel you to find more than one sexual partner.

I don't understand what you mean by privacy in this context.

> blurring the intentions for sexual
>activity from being acts open to children, even if a couple isn't
>wanting one, to acts solely intended for pleasure.

So you are claiming that sex is *only* for creating children? Then why
is it pleasurable, and why can we (humans) have sex at any time, unlike
some species (dogs for instance) that can only copulate during heat.

>Don't believe there are any negative impacts from this, talk to a
>woman that regrets an abortion about the secrecy surrounding
>this supposed "right."

I know several women that have had abortions. Some regret it, some
don't. Some regret it, but realize having a child at 14 would have been
a mistake.

That in itself is not a reason to illegalize abortion.

I for one would much rather have legalized abortion, than have back
alley abortions performed with coathangers.

>The porn industry has taken over all
>forms of media, it's not unreasonable for people to call for
>affective personal sensoring methods if national and community
>ones don't exist.

Don't like something? Don't watch it. Don't inflict your mores on me.

>I can't tell people what to look at or read very easily, this
>is why children need to be taught in school the types of
>relationships that are worthwhile and ones that aren't.

No, this should more properly be taught by the schools AND THE PARENTS.
In concert. It needs to be an open discussion, and not influenced by any
one viewpoint.

I'm a firm believer that if the schools are going to teach evolution,
they should also teach creation.

>I do have a right to say stay away from porn, or does freedom
>of speech and religion not apply to me?

Yes, you have the right to say it. You do not have the right to force
your opinion on another, or to make anyone listen to you.

Russ