[PLUG-TALK] Re: [PLUG] Happy Birthday, Portland!

gepr at tempusdictum.com gepr at tempusdictum.com
Tue Jan 27 00:02:01 UTC 2004

Jeme A Brelin writes:
 > On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 gepr at tempusdictum.com wrote:
 > > Russell Senior writes:
 > >  > Define "love".
 > >
 > > This one will do:
 > > 1.  A deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude
 > >     toward a person, such as that arising from kinship, recognition of
 > >     attractive qualities, or a sense of underlying oneness.
 > > 2.  A feeling of intense desire and attraction toward a person with
 > >     whom one is disposed to make a pair; the emotion of sex and
 > >     romance.
 > > 3   a. Sexual passion.
 > >     b. Sexual intercourse.
 > >     c. A love affair.
 > > 4.  An intense emotional attachment, as for a pet or treasured
 > >     object.
 > > 5.  A person who is the object of deep or intense affection or
 > >     attraction; beloved. Often used as a term of endearment.
 > > 6.  An expression of one's affection: Send him my love.
 > > 7   a. A strong predilection or enthusiasm: a love of language.
 > >     b. The object of such an enthusiasm: The outdoors is her greatest
 > >     love.
 > > 8.  Love Mythology Eros or Cupid.
 > > 9.  often Love Christianity Charity.
 > > 10. Sports A zero score in tennis.
 >
 > That's the closest to it.
 >
 > To love people is to want the best for them and to do whatever you can to
 > make their lives better.
 >
 > Sometimes this means personal sacrifice and it almost always means a
 > little extra effort.
 >
 > This is what we need to do for all things.

I disagree.  I think (1-7) are the most frequently used and should
be the primary references for how people use the word.

"To love people" means "to have an intense emotional attachment
to the concept of 'people'".  It's a generalization and a stereotype
just like any other.

I've also seen it used in the sense of "a strong predilection for
_interacting_ with other people".

Thanks for misquoting me, Jeme.  [grin]  I appreciate the subtlety.

--
glen e. p. ropella              =><=                           Hail Eris!
H: 503.630.4505                              http://www.ropella.net/~gepr