[PLUG-TALK] Re: ouroboros

GLL guy1656 at ados.com
Fri Jul 9 17:28:53 UTC 2004

: g> Another factor which skews the data is the severe under-reporting (due to
: its g> non-sensational outcome) of the instances in which a would-be victim
: g> successfully interdicts a crime and holds the aggressor at bay until g>
: authorities arrive to complete the arrest - all without a shot being fired.
:
: Do you have access to any independent studies of this? ... I'm
: looking for a study carried out by a neutral party... or a party
: that at least claims neutrality like the AMA or the surgeon general
: or somesuch.

The AMA is -not- neutral on guns. Note the AMA listings here:
http://www.interactiva.org/Dir/I/English/Society/Issues/Gun_Control/Anti-Gun_Rights/

The studies I have found are mostly linked to Trent Lott or Senator Larry
Craig. However, as a memner of my county sheriff's posse I often get
agreement with the opinion when I ask other officers. I would think they'd be
the ones to counter me if the assertion was wrong. If the validity of the
statistic is limited to rural culture, then this would be another indication
of the superiority of rural attitudes to overly group-oriented city-folk
attitudes (somethimes called 'city-think' - the stuff that expands light rail
or enforces bottle deposits even when both these items were rejected by the
voters) - in this case, that rural dwellers use guns more responsibly than
city-folk.

However, another question: why have no 'neutral parties' collected and
published their own statistics. When Lott claims that 2.5 million people ( a
little less than 1% of us) have already used a gun to STOP a knuckle-head,
why isn't there anyone else who can say: 'the actual figure is 1.8M.' (Or
whatever. 3.4M.)

The lack of other data actually indicates that this question is severely
UNDER-investigated, which still implies a bias against reporting on the
lawful use of guns to stop crimes: "Don't ask a question whose answer will
derail our current agenda." Lastly, though, part of the problem COULD be that
this is like collecting events predicted by the Pareito distibution: events
you can count the instances of, but you cannot count the instances in which
they did NOT occur:

Example 1: (gaussian) You can throw dice and determine the number of times the
roll was less than 5, and also when that condition did not obtain.

Example 2: (pareito) You can count the number of rocks to hit your car on a
10-mile trip or the number of flaws per mile of copper wire drawn, but not
the number of rocks which didn't hit the car, or the number of defects
avoided.

- GLL