[PLUG-TALK] DNS, or Why is Windows so dumb?

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Fri Jul 9 23:52:29 UTC 2004

OK, so I have a bind server with two views, internal and external.

This works great because I've wildcarded the domains in the external view,
but have many machines that do not have public IP addresses and,
therefore, need specific, internal address entries.

Works great.  Does exactly what I'd like... except for Windows clients.

I can't cut and paste from Windows here without way too much hassle, but I
can give you the gist of it:

c:\>  nslookup intenalhost

internalhost.whatver.tld
192.168.1.4

c:\>  ping internalhost

64 bytes received from 208.184.12.27...

(I made up that IP address, but it's the wildcarded address in the
external DNS view.)

So what the HELL is going on?

J.
--